Saturday, September 8, 2012

What I've learned thus far...

So, now that I've had some experience with the lap band, let me tell you what I've learned that might have been useful ahead of time...

Recovery SUCKS! A lot of blogs and vlogs had people talking about how "easy" their recovery was and how they were back to work right away. I don't know what kind of black magic they were using, but I was stuck in bed hardly even able to feed myself (which by feed, I mean drink since my first two weeks were all liquids). When I stood up for anything longer than 10 seconds, I felt like I had done 10,000 sit ups from the cuts in my muscles. And I felt nauseous... so very nauseous. I could hardly even get my liquids down. One day, I only had 61 calories TOTAL. I couldn't even pee unassisted. And it was like this for a little under 2 weeks.

This is NOT a magic bullet. And I don't want ANYONE to think it is. Lap band is merely a tool. While I am full on smaller portions, and I'm not hungry nearly as much as I was, there is a huge mental component to this that if you lack it, you won't be successful. I'm at the point in my diet where I can handle almost any foods. This means, while I can only eat a little, I could choose to eat half a chocolate bar or a small french fry if I wanted. But I don't. I don't because I've had enough of being overweight, and if I'm not even willing to change my habits after SURGERY, then what's the point? Every day with every meal, I make the decision to choose to eat healthy. I of course am not perfect, and I've made a few poor choices. However, just because I take a step back doesn't mean I need to let myself fall down the whole staircase. And I'm the one who chooses not to.

NO fluids with meals. I have to stop drinking 30 minutes before a meal, and wait until 30 minutes after. This is so the fluid doesn't push the food through my pouch which would make me hungry again. You might think that's not too hard. And for some foods, it's not. But the next time you enjoy something spicy (which I quite enjoy spicy foods) or salty, try to not drink during or 30 minutes after that meal. Hell, try preparing a meal without drinking fluids. Even that is a little difficult.

The weight loss isn't incredible rapid. It's faster than most, but don't expect to lose all your weight in a day. When I was on the all liquid portion of my diet, I lost about 15 lbs in 2 weeks. And that's pretty damn fast. But now that I'm eating food again, my weight loss has slowed down. I'm down a total of 22.4 lbs right now, which I'm THRILLED with, but I'm only loosing about a pound a week at this point. Granted, I just started working out which will definitely boost it, but it's still pretty gradual.

I don't want anyone to read this and think lap band isn't awesome. Because it is. I have not for one minute regretted getting this, and I know without it, I wouldn't be having the success I am now. These are simply observations and things I wish I had known going into it, simply to be better prepared. Lap band has changed my life for the better, and if you are considering it, do the research and go for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment