Sunday, May 20, 2012

I love you Sabrina, and I'll always be there...

Today is my little sister's birthday. She's turning 16, which is really weird for me. I still think of her as a little kid, but in reality, she's turning into a little woman. I thought I would take a few minutes to share some of my favorite memories growing up together.

I remember when we were little, my hair was long and luscious, and her's... well, not so much. It stopped growing about 3 inches off her shoulders, and was so thick it made her head look like a triangle. My poor mother thought she would always be this ugly. And for quite a few years, she was. Now, her hair is described as "mermaid hair." Jelly much?

I remember when we got a little bit older (I was around 8 and she was 3) I hated her. Absolutely, positively hated her. I don't know why, I think it's a sister thing. But "why" didn't matter. All I knew was that it was my goal in life from that point forward, to make every minute of her existence miserable. And I did a pretty fantastic job if I do say so myself.

I remember when I was around 10, my brother Zakk was 12, and she was 5, we were all home alone. Zakk was playing computer games (some things never change) and Sabrina was watching T.V. Well, this didn't work for me because I wanted to watch T.V. So, I went into my room, grabbed my electric metronome, put it in my pocket, and turned it on. "Sabrina!" I exclaimed. "Do you hear that?!"
"Yeah.." she looked confused.
"I think... I think it's a BOMB!!"
"Oh gosh!!" she yelled with a terrified look on her stupid little face.
"Yeah, you need to go outside and hold onto the tree while Zakk and I disarm it. DON'T come in until I tell you to!" With that, she ran out of the house and I had the T.V. all to myself for the next hour. Finally she cracked open the door and asked if the bomb was disabled yet. "Oh yeah, I took care of that awhile ago. But I'm watching T.V. now so you need to go to your room and play in there."

I remember one day she was especially annoying me. I took it upon myself to (SPOILER ALERT) "inform" her that Santa wasn't real and neither was the tooth fairy, Easter bunny, leprechauns or fairies. She found this news quite upsetting and ran outside in nothing but her underwear crying and screaming. My brother finally brought her back where she questioned my mother, much to her chagrin, if she was also lying about Jesus. My mother told her no, but for me, the jury's still out.

I remember when she was in the fourth grade and wore nothing but camo print. Seriously. Her closet looked like she was in basic training. My mother joked that when she dropped her off for school she "didn't know whether to wave or salute."

I remember at Girls Camp, it was her first year and I was a counselor. So naturally, it was my DUTY as her sister to prank her. First, I sent her a "package" from a "boy". As tradition at camp, when you receive something in the mail, you have to do something embarrassing. When it's a package, it has to be something big, and when it's from a boy, you have to do two things. She wasn't thrilled, but went along non the less. Confused, she opened her package to find nothing but rocks and a note from yours truly. Next, I was incharge of arts and crafts that year, so while she was out on her hike, I brought in her bag of clothes and sewed them together, piece by piece, until it was long enough to be strung around the cabin. When she came back, she was none too thrilled to see her skivvies hanging out for the world to see. Tired and upset, she began to cry. This was not my intention and I felt like a jerk (for once). So, to make it up to her, I came up with a rap and sang it to her infront of everyone. It goes as follows:
"So I know that I sent you a package full of rocks,
and I sewed together all of your clothes but your socks.
And I know that it made you a little sad.
But let me explain why I did all of that.
I love to see the smile on your face,
even if it is out of embarrassment or disgrace.
I love you, Sabrina, and I'll always be there,
even if I did expose your underwear.
So give me a hug, and I'll give you a kiss
because forever we will be big and little sis."

All in all, Sabrina and I have thousands of memories together, and I haven't always been the best sister in the world as you can all see. However, in the last few years I have had the privileged of getting to know her better as a person, and grow closer with her as a sister. Now, I love her more than ever and I can't imagine having a better sister or friend. She has grown into such a beautiful person. She is smart, funny, popular, beautiful. She's everything I wish I could have been at her age. She's such a cool person and I pity anyone that doesn't know her. She's gonna do great things, I know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment